Vegetarian Lentil Soup
January 29, 2017 - 2 Comments
This healthy Vegetarian lentil soup features white onion, carrots and three different kinds of lentil beans, green, red and brown. Perfect soup for colder weather, fall or winter. Can be served with bread, chips or by itself. It is amazing in taste and as I stated above healthy! If you find yourself in need for great lentil beans soup, don’t hesitate and go for it.
We recently went through a detox to cleanse our body and kick start more of a healthy approach to our diet. This delicious vegetarian lentil soup was our first meal after our cleanse. I have to say this soup exceeded our expectations. Carrots sauteed with chopped white onion bring great flavors. Curry and thyme spices bring taste to a new level. From now on this soup will often be served in our home 🙂
Although this lentil soup calls for quite a few ingredients, it is relatively easy to make. It boils down to 3 core vegetables, onion, carrots, and lentils.
Look at these pretty simple ingredients below that make this delicious vegetarian lentil soup.
So here we go! 🙂 Dice an onion peel the carrots and cut into strips.
A large pot will be needed to start cooking onions and carrots. I used about 6 quarts pot.
Next step is to add water, culinary vegetable stock, tomatoes and bring your soup to a boil and set it to medium. Continue cooking for about 25 more minutes.
Add your collard greens ( you can replace collard greens with kale if you prefer)and, season with salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes.
Last but not least squeeze the lemon to season with fresh lemon juice and serve while the soup is hot!
This vegetable lentil soup can be made with a variety of different meats or vegetables.
Try chicken, beef, ham hock, bacon, ham bone, sausage or spinach, kale. Honestly it will taste fantastic with any vegetable or meat.
Of course when you get a chance please take a look at more of our soup recipes.
If you make this recipe please snap a picture and hashtag it #foodflavorz – We would love to see your food photos on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter!
How to make vegetarian lentil soup?
Just follow these simple instructions below
- 1 medium White onion
- 2 Carrots Diced
- 1 cup Brown lentils
- 1 cup Green lentils
- 1 cup Red lentils
- 1 tsp Curry powder
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- 4 clove Garlic
- 1 pinch Red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- 1 stem Scallion
- 32 oz Vegetable culinary stock
- 2 cups Water
- 1 cup Collard greens Chopped
- 1/2 medium Lemon Juiced
- Dice onion into medium small squares, peel carrots and cut into thin stripes.
- Preheat olive oil in a large size pot (about 6 quarts). Add onion and carrots and cook until onion becomes translucent. Spice with curry and fresh thyme.
- Add lentils, tomatoes, vegetable culinary stock and, water. Season with black pepper and salt. Bring it to a boil and lower to medium. Cook for about 25-30 minutes
- Take about 16 oz. of soup broth and vegetables and set aside to cool down. Once it's cool, blend it well and pour back into the pot, which will make the soup texture thicker.
- Squeeze ½ a lemon and spice with red pepper flakes and thinly cut scallion stem. Serve while hot and enjoy!